There is nothing like capturing an excellent image of a beautiful bird. The above Long Billed Corella has been captured with a Nikon 300mm f/4 telephoto lens. This lens is the smallest of the Nikon super telephoto lenses that has the capability of excellent bird photography.
It should be kept in mind when using long lenses, that good lens support such as a tripod or monopod is essential to get the best image sharpness and quality.
The above image of the bush curlew has also been captured with a 300mm lens, with a monopod.
It should be kept in mind that all the super telephoto lenses from Nikon described here, are capable of using the Nikon teleocoverters with very little loss of image quality.
In the following, I have summarised some of the capabilities of the Nikon super telephoto lenses as to their capability for bird photography.
The Nikon, Nikkor, 300mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S, Lens, is the cheapest of all these lenses and has excellent image quality as do all these lenses. This lens is very compact and easy to handle.
The Nikon 300mm f/2.8, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Lens is also easy to handle and has the added advantage of the smaller aperture and vibration reduction for low light usage.
The Nikon, Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED ASF-S VR II Lens, has become an extremely popular long telephoto lens and is very useful for bird photography. This lens being a zoom 200-400mm, is also very useful as a general long nature lens for subjects such as birds, animals, butterflies and other nature subjects. This lens also has a great close focusing ability compared to some other lenses.
The Nikon, Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Lens is a very popular lens for bird photography, however it is also quite large to transport and handle.
The Nikon Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Lens is an very large lens but very difficult to manage. With this lens a very solid tripod is virtually essential for sharp images, making the lens less transportable.
For full reviews of all current Nikon lenses go to Nikon Lens Reviews.
Comments are very welcome. All comments are held for moderation. No advertising comments or links are accepted. To advertise please contact us.
Photography Categories And Nikon Equipment Data
- Accessories Microphones GPS Housings
- Android Tablet / Phone Camera Uses
- Camera Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images, Articles and Software Processing Reviews
- Camera Settings For Better Images
- Capturing Aerial Images
- Capturing The Action Of Sports
- Capturing The Best Cityscapes And Architecture
- Capturing Transport
- Choosing And Selecting Camera Equipment
- Choosing And Selecting Nikon Lenses
- Coolpix Cameras
- Creating Different Image Styles
- Creating Dynamic Fireworks
- Creating The Panorama
- Creative People & Portraits
- Digital SLR System Camera Reviews
- DX Lens Reviews
- DX System Cameras
- DX System Prime Lenses
- DX System Zoom Lenses
- Electronic Flash And High Speed Flash Synchronization
- Exposure, Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO
- Exposure, Histogram, ISO, White Balance, Color Temperature
- Fine Tuning Your Imaging Workflow
- Focus Stacking
- FX Lens Reviews
- FX System Cameras
- FX System Standard Prime Lenses
- FX System Standard Zoom Lenses
- FX System Super Telephoto Lenses
- FX System Teleconverters
- FX System Telephoto Prime Lenses
- FX System Telephoto Zoom Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Prime Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Zoom Lenses
- Handbooks Nikon View and Nikon Capture NX-2 Software
- History Of Photographic Imaging
- If You Are Into Action These are the Cameras
- Imaging Composition
- Keeping Your Camera Alive At Night
- Lens Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images and Articles
- Lenses, Focal Length, Aperture
- Making Food Look Delicious
- Nature Photography Is Beautiful
- Nikon 1 Mirrorless System Reviews
- Nikon 1 System CX Cameras
- Nikon 1 System CX Lenses
- Nikon GPS Systems
- Nikon Remote Camera Control Reviews
- Nikon Software
- Nikon Software Reviews
- Nikon Speedlights, Electronic Flash Reviews and Recommendations
- Photographic Capture Techniques
- Photographing Festivals
- Photoshop Tutorials, High Dynamic Range (HDR), Double Exposure, Focus Stacking, Adobe Camera Raw Post Processing
- Recording Air, Army and Military Shows
- Recording Your Travels
- Review Of Nikon AF Nikkor 200 f/4D IF ED Micro Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm ED Ultra Wide Angle Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S NIkkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Telephoto Lens
- Still Life Compositions
- Tips for Better Results From Your Camera
- Tips on using Teleconverters
- Tripods Monopods, Remote Camera Control and Your Accessories