Whenever I handle one of the Nikon 1 cameras, I am amazed at the size of the camera and the amazing image quality that can be achieved. The image quality is not as good and can not be expected to be as good as the Nikon DX and FX range of cameras with their larger sensors, but if you require prints up to around 50cm wide they can be a great photographic asset.
This camera is lightning fast in operation and quite simple in design to operate. It offers a 14.2 megapixel sensor and high speed autofocus.
Continuous shooting mode will delivers high speed and sharp images. When your subject is in motion, continuous shooting mode works with the camera’s phase-detection AF system to track movement and keep the subject in focus. The moment you press the shutter release button, the camera captures extremely sharp images at 15 frames per second (fps). Continuous shooting mode can shoot even faster when your subject is stationary. In this case, you can set the camera to shoot at up to 60 fps, amazing.
A camera such as this, due to its size is a take everywhere camera, and is an excellent camera when silent operation is required such as at stage shows etc.
- Effective angle of view, 2.7x lens focal length, 35 mm format equivalent
- Effective pixels, 14.2 million
- Image sensor, 13.2 mm x 8.8 mm CMOS sensor, Nikon CX format
- Image size (pixels)
- Still images (auto, best moment capture, and all creative modes other than Easy panorama; aspect ratio 3 : 2), 4608 x 3072, 3456 x 2304, 2304 x 1536,
- Still images (Normal panorama, camera panned horizontally; aspect ratio 40 : 7), 4800 x 920,
- Still images (Normal panorama, camera panned vertically; aspect ratio 8 : 25), 1536 x 4800
- Still images (Wide panorama, camera panned horizontally; aspect ratio 80 : 7), 9600 x 920
- Still images (Wide panorama, camera panned vertically; aspect ratio 4 : 25), 1536 x 9600
- Still images (taken during movie recording, aspect ratio 3 : 2), 4608 x 3072 (1080/60i, 1080/30p), 1280 x 856 (720/60p, 720/30p)
- Still images (Motion Snapshots; aspect ratio 16 : 9), 4608 x 2592
- Media, SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- Shutter Speed, 1/16,000-30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb Note: Bulb ends automatically after approximately 2 minutes
- Flash sync speed, Synchronizes with shutter at X=1/60 s or slower
- Fame advance rate, 5, 15, 30, or 60 fps
- Self-timer, 2 s, 5 s, 10 s
- ISO sensitivity, ISO 160-6400 in steps of 1 EV; auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 160-6400, 160-3200, 160-800) available (user controlled in P, S, A, and M modes)
- HD movies (aspect ratio 16 : 9) 1920 x 1080/60i (59.94 fields/s*) 1920 x 1080/30p (29.97 fps) 1280 x 720/60p (59.94 fps) 1280 x 720/30p (29.97 fps) Slow-motion movies (aspect ratio 8 : 3) 640 x 240/400 fps (plays at 30p/29.97 fps) 320 x 120/1200 fps (plays at 30p/29.97 fps) Motion Snapshot (aspect ratio 16 : 9) 1920 x 1080/60p (59.94 fps) (plays at 24p/23.976 fps) * Sensor output is about 60 fps.
- File format, MOV
- Dimensions (W x H x D), 101.0 x 60.5 x 28.8 mm (4.0 x 2.4 x 1.1 in.), excluding projections
- Weight, 244 g (8.6 oz) with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 201 g (7.1 oz), camera body only
- Temperature, 0 °C-40 °C (+32 °F-104 °F)
- Humidity, 85%.