This new 14.2 effective megapixel V2 camera is a very fast focussing camera with an ISO range of 160 to 6400.
I love the compactness, the quietness of operation and the speed of operation with this camera. The main disadvantage as I see it with this camera is the imaging sensor size, which will result in images with more noise compared to the DX and FX cameras with larger sensors.
The camera has an excellent focussing system, with an advanced hybrid AF system with phase detection AF area coverage. There is wide coverage within the frame, provided by 73 focus areas in phase detection AF and 135 focus areas in contrast-detect AF that let you catch subjects even at the edge of the frame in sharp focus. This AF system is very fast focussing .
The camera provides high speed continuous shooting at 15 fps with continuous focusing.
The camera will let you create your own movies with motion snapshot, stills and full HD movies.
I have used the previous version of this camera, the V1, on occasions and really liked it. The quietness of the camera really appeals to me and the new V2 version has much appeal.
- Effective angle of view, 2.7x lens focal length compared to 35 mm format equivalent
- Effective pixels, 14.2 million
- Image sensor, 13.2 mm x 8.8 mm CMOS sensor, Nikon CX format
- Dust reduction system
- Still image modes, auto, P, S, A, M, best moment capture modes;
- Aspect ratio 3 : 2, 4608 x 3072, 3456 x 2304, 2304 x 1536
- Movie mode; aspect ratio 3 : 2, 4608 x 3072 (1080/60i, 1080/30p), 1280 x 856 (720/60p, 720/30p)
- Still images (Motion Snapshots; aspect ratio 16 : 9) 4608 x 2592
- File format, NEF (RAW): 12-bit, compressed JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1 : 4), normal (approx. 1 : 8), or basic (approx. 1 : 16) compression NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
- Media, SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- Electronic viewfinder, 0.47-in., approx. 1440k-dot color TFT LCD viewfinder with diopter control and brightness adjustment
- Frame coverage, 100% horizontal and 100% vertical
- Eye sensor, Camera switches to viewfinder display when it detects that viewfinder is in use
- Shooting modes, Auto, P (programmed auto), S (shutter-priority auto), A (aperture-priority auto), M (manual), best moment capture (slow view and Smart Photo Selector), advanced movie (HD and slow motion), Motion Snapshot
- Shutter Type, Electronically controlled vertical travel focal plane mechanical shutter
- Mechanical shutter: 1/4000-30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb; Time (requires optional ML-L3 remote control)
- Electronic shutter: 1/16,000-30 s in steps of 1/3 EV; Bulb; Time (requires optional ML-L3 remote control)
- Flash sync speed, Mechanical shutter: Synchronizes with shutter at X=1/250 s or slower Electronic shutter: Synchronizes with shutter at X=1/60 s or slower
- Single frame, continuous Self timer, remote
- Frame advance rate, 5, 15, 30, or 60 fps
- Self timer, 2 s, 10 s
- Metering method, Matrix Center-weighted: Meters 4.5 mm circle in center of frame Spot: Meters 2 mm circle centered on selected focus area
- Modes, P (programmed auto with flexible program); S (shutter-priority auto); A (aperture-priority auto); M (manual); scene auto selector
- Exposure compensation, -3 – +3 EV in increments of 1/3 EV (user controlled in P, S, and A modes)
- Exposure lock
- ISO 160-6400 in steps of 1 EV; auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 160-6400, 160-3200, 160-800) available (user controlled in P, S, A, and M modes)
- Active D-Lighting, On, off
- Hybrid autofocus, phase detection/contrast-detect AF)
- AF assist illuminator
- AF-area mode, Single-point, auto-area, subject tracking
- Built in Flash, Guide Number 5/16 (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F; at ISO 160, Guide Number is approx. 6.3/20.7)
- Fill flash, fill flash + slow sync, red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction + slow sync, rear-curtain sync, rear curtain + slow sync
- Flash compensation, -3 – +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- Metering method, Matrix Center weighted: Meters 4.5 mm circle in center of frame Spot: Meters 2 mm circle centered on selected focus area
- HD movies and movies recorded in auto, P, S, A, and M modes (aspect ratio 16 : 9) 1920 x 1080/60i (59.94 fields/s *) 1920 x 1080/30p (29.97 fps) 1280 x 720/60p (59.94 fps) 1280 x 720/30p (29.97 fps) Slow-motion movies (aspect ratio 8 : 3) 640 x 240/400 fps (plays at 30p/29.97 fps) 320 x 120/1200 fps (plays at 30p/29.97 fps) Motion Snapshot (aspect ratio 16 : 9) 1920 x 1080/60p (59.94 fps) (plays at 24p/23.976 fps) * Sensor output is about 60 fps.
- Movie File format, MOV
- Built in or optional external ME-1 stereo microphone; sensitivity adjustable
- Monitor, 7.5 cm (3-in.), approx. 921k-dot, TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
- Dimensions, (W x H x D), 107.8 x 81.6 x 45.9 mm (4.2 x 3.2 x 1.8 in.), excluding projections; thickness of body (from mount to monitor) is 33.2 mm (1.3 in.)
- Weight, 338 g (11.9 oz) with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 278 g (9.8 oz), camera body only
- Operating environment, Temperature, 0°C – 40 °C (+32°F – 104°F), Humidity, 85% or less (no condensation).