This is the new Nikon 1 lens mount which has been introduced on the innovative Nikon 1, V1 and J1 cameras.
Why introduce a new mount?
The new cameras are a mirrorless format without the bulk of the Digital SLR mirror arrangement, being much more smaller than a full DSLR as the lens flange to sensor distance is much reduced resulting in a much smaller camera. There are quite a few advantages and disadvantages of a camera such as this compared to the full DSLR.
The very interesting thing about this new mount is that there is an adaptor to allow the older Nikon full frame FX and also the smaller format DX lenses to be used with the new mirrorless cameras
Advantages of the Mirrorless Format
- Small physical size, can live in your pocket when not being used.
- Small weight and easy to carry.
- There would be no problem in taking this camera everywhere you go.
- Silent operation due to no mirror noise, has excellent possibility to be used in stage shows and any other events where allowed.
- Can use DX and FX lenses if you have any of these lenses with an adaptor, the camera has a lens multiplication factor of 2.7, thus a 70-200mm lens becomes an effective 190-540mm lens. A 500mm lens becomes an effective 1350mm.
- This camera can also be regarded as a part of your Nikon system if you have FX or DX lenses.
- This camera will be a great compact movie camera for High Definition movies.
- Greatly improved image quality from the existing range of smaller sensor Coolpix cameras.
Disadvantages of the Mirrorless Format
- No optical viewfinder, but there is an electronic viewfinder.
- Focussing with any action shots may not be as precise and fast as the Digital SLR range of cameras ( I am not sure of this issue until I actually get my hands on one to try it out, Nikon claim it is the fastest auto focus in the world).
- Higher pixel density with smaller pixels and probably more image noise as a result.
I was not too keen on the idea of this mirrorless camera format when I first heard the rumors of it, however the more I think about it, and weigh up the pros and cons of the camera, the more I am thinking that I may like the idea and find a use for it.
The technology in this camera does have the potential to be developed into the larger camera ranges such as the DX and FX formats as mirrorless DX and FX formats in the future without any changes to the existing DX and FX lens mounts, as time progresses.
We have a lot to look forward to with these new digital camera developments.