Nikon now has their Vibration Reduction technology in many lenses. The vibration reduction has gradually filtered down from the telephoto lens range and has now been implemented effectively in many of Nikon’s wide angle lenses. The use of VR in lenses is very effective in helping to reduce the effect of any vibration or camera movement. The technology works by moving an element within the lens to counteract the camera movement.
The following is a list of some of the Nikon lenses with Vibration Reduction:
Nikon, Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S DX Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR II AF-S DX Lens
Nikon Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S DX Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 85mm f/3.5 G ED VR AF-S DX Micro Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 G ED VR AF-S Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF ED VR Lens Review
Nikon Nikkor 24-120mm f/4.0 G ED VR Lens
Nikon Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 G ED VR II Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED VR AF-S Lens Review
Nikon, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 G IF ED VR AF-S Micro Lens Review
Nikon, Nikkor 200mm 2.0 G ED AF-S VR II Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 G ED ASF-S VR II Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 G ED VR II AF-S Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 G ED VR Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 500mm f/4 G ED VR Lens
Nikon, Nikkor 600mm f/4 G ED VR Lens
The usage of the VR technology does need some understanding to get the most effective use of it.
- Vibration Reduction technology will not help in reducing any subject movement.
- Vibration Reduction will help reduce camera induced movement mainly at slow shutter speeds.
- Generally Vibration Reduction should be switched of and only switched on as required.
- When using a firm tripod I recommend that Vibration Reduction be nturned off.
- When using a monopod at low shutter speeds turn VR on.
- I generally never use VR at shutter speeds greater than 1/500 second.
- If you are panning to blur the background turn the VR on.
- The image jumps slightly in the viewfinder when VR is on. This is completely normal.
- Read your manual, as different lenses do perform differently with VR, when they are installed on a tripod.