This is the new Nikon 1 lens mount which has been introduced on the innovative Nikon 1, V1 and J1 cameras.
Why introduce a new mount?
The new cameras are a mirrorless format without the bulk of the Digital SLR mirror arrangement, being much more smaller than a full DSLR as the lens flange to sensor distance is much reduced resulting in a much smaller camera. There are quite a few advantages and disadvantages of a camera such as this compared to the full DSLR.
The very interesting thing about this new mount is that there is an adaptor to allow the older Nikon full frame FX and also the smaller format DX lenses to be used with the new mirrorless cameras
Advantages of the Mirrorless Format
- Small physical size, can live in your pocket when not being used.
- Small weight and easy to carry.
- There would be no problem in taking this camera everywhere you go.
- Silent operation due to no mirror noise, has excellent possibility to be used in stage shows and any other events where allowed.
- Can use DX and FX lenses if you have any of these lenses with an adaptor, the camera has a lens multiplication factor of 2.7, thus a 70-200mm lens becomes an effective 190-540mm lens. A 500mm lens becomes an effective 1350mm.
- This camera can also be regarded as a part of your Nikon system if you have FX or DX lenses.
- This camera will be a great compact movie camera for High Definition movies.
- Greatly improved image quality from the existing range of smaller sensor Coolpix cameras.
Disadvantages of the Mirrorless Format
- No optical viewfinder, but there is an electronic viewfinder.
- Focussing with any action shots may not be as precise and fast as the Digital SLR range of cameras ( I am not sure of this issue until I actually get my hands on one to try it out, Nikon claim it is the fastest auto focus in the world).
- Higher pixel density with smaller pixels and probably more image noise as a result.
I was not too keen on the idea of this mirrorless camera format when I first heard the rumors of it, however the more I think about it, and weigh up the pros and cons of the camera, the more I am thinking that I may like the idea and find a use for it.
The technology in this camera does have the potential to be developed into the larger camera ranges such as the DX and FX formats as mirrorless DX and FX formats in the future without any changes to the existing DX and FX lens mounts, as time progresses.
We have a lot to look forward to with these new digital camera developments.
Comments are very welcome. All comments are held for moderation. No advertising comments or links are accepted. To advertise please contact us.
Photography Categories And Nikon Equipment Data
- Accessories Microphones GPS Housings
- Android Tablet / Phone Camera Uses
- Camera Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images, Articles and Software Processing Reviews
- Camera Settings For Better Images
- Capturing Aerial Images
- Capturing The Action Of Sports
- Capturing The Best Cityscapes And Architecture
- Capturing Transport
- Choosing And Selecting Camera Equipment
- Choosing And Selecting Nikon Lenses
- Coolpix Cameras
- Creating Different Image Styles
- Creating Dynamic Fireworks
- Creating The Panorama
- Creative People & Portraits
- Digital SLR System Camera Reviews
- DX Lens Reviews
- DX System Cameras
- DX System Prime Lenses
- DX System Zoom Lenses
- Electronic Flash And High Speed Flash Synchronization
- Exposure, Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO
- Exposure, Histogram, ISO, White Balance, Color Temperature
- Fine Tuning Your Imaging Workflow
- Focus Stacking
- FX Lens Reviews
- FX System Cameras
- FX System Standard Prime Lenses
- FX System Standard Zoom Lenses
- FX System Super Telephoto Lenses
- FX System Teleconverters
- FX System Telephoto Prime Lenses
- FX System Telephoto Zoom Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Prime Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Zoom Lenses
- Handbooks Nikon View and Nikon Capture NX-2 Software
- History Of Photographic Imaging
- If You Are Into Action These are the Cameras
- Imaging Composition
- Keeping Your Camera Alive At Night
- Lens Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images and Articles
- Lenses, Focal Length, Aperture
- Making Food Look Delicious
- Nature Photography Is Beautiful
- Nikon 1 Mirrorless System Reviews
- Nikon 1 System CX Cameras
- Nikon 1 System CX Lenses
- Nikon GPS Systems
- Nikon Remote Camera Control Reviews
- Nikon Software
- Nikon Software Reviews
- Nikon Speedlights, Electronic Flash Reviews and Recommendations
- Photographic Capture Techniques
- Photographing Festivals
- Photoshop Tutorials, High Dynamic Range (HDR), Double Exposure, Focus Stacking, Adobe Camera Raw Post Processing
- Recording Air, Army and Military Shows
- Recording Your Travels
- Review Of Nikon AF Nikkor 200 f/4D IF ED Micro Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm ED Ultra Wide Angle Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S NIkkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Telephoto Lens
- Still Life Compositions
- Tips for Better Results From Your Camera
- Tips on using Teleconverters
- Tripods Monopods, Remote Camera Control and Your Accessories