This new DX lens appears to be a great lens for DX cameras in a small package. Nikon describe it as the world’s lightest lens in this focal length range.
The lens incorporates Nikon’s Nano Crystal Coat technology that reduces flares and ghosting, an electromagnetic aperture mechanism that allows for stable exposure control, and a fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water, grease and dirt. The lens has a 4-stop Vibration Reduction (VR) system and has the gold ring to indicate that the lens is of Nikon’s professional quality.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR is a high performance 5x normal zoom lens featuring f/2.8 aperture at the maximum wide-angle position, resulting in a fast zoom lens ideal for capturing a vast range of shooting situations.
- Fmount, Type E AF-S DX lens with built-in CPU
- Focal length, 16–80mm
- Maximum aperture, f/2.8–4.0
- Minimum aperture, f/22–32
- 17 elements in, 13 groups, including 4 ED elements, 3 aspherical elements, and elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings
- Angle of view, 83° to 20°
- Minimum focus distance, 0.35m (1.15ft)
- VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization
- 7 Rounded diaphragm blades
- Automatic electronic aperture control
- Full aperture metering
- Filter attachment size, 72mm, (P = 0.75 mm)
- Dimensions, 80 mm maximum diameter x 85.5 mm (distance from camera lens mount flange)
- Weight, 480g
- AF-S (Silent Wave Motor),
- Internal focusing
- Manual, Manual/Auto focussing
- Focus distance indicator,
- Focal length scale, Graduated in millimeters (16, 24, 35, 50, 80)
- Manual zoom using independent zoom ring.
- 72 mm snap-on Front Lens Cap, LC-72,
- Rear Lens Cap LF-4,
- Bayonet Hood HB-75.