The new Nikon 18-55mm VR II DX lens is rather novel compared to the previous lenses for these DX cameras as it has a button on the side of the lens, to enable the lens to be retracted when being transported. This functionality is similar to the Nikon 1 range of lenses and enables a much more compact lens to be manufactured to facilitate a much lighter and compact lens to be produced for easy travelling.
The Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX lens is the perfect companion to a Nikon D3300 or similar DX camera. It has an improved optical performance and also includes the Vibration Reduction (VR) function and a minimum focus distance of 0.25 m/0.8 ft.
The Vibration Reduction (VR) function provides an equivalent to shooting with a shutter speed 4 stops faster than without VR.
The attachment ring for circular polarizing filters have been upgraded so that it does not rotate, making it easy to control reflective lighting situations.
- Type G AF-S DX lens with built-in CPU and F mount
- Focal length, 18-55mm
- Maximum aperture, f/3.5-5.6
- Minimum aperture, f/22-36
- Lens construction, 11 elements in 8 groups, including 1 aspherical lens element
- Angle of view, 76° to 28°50′
- Focusing, Autofocus controlled by Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Minimum focus distance, AF: 0.28 m (0.92 ft) from focal plane at all zoom positions MF: 0.25 m (0.82 ft) from focal plane at all zoom positions
- Maximum reproduction ratio, AF: 0.31x (at 55 mm) MF: 0.36x (at 55 mm)
- Number of diaphragm blades, 7 rounded diaphragm opening
- Diaphragm, Fully automatic
- Aperture range, 18 mm focal length: f/3.5 to 22, 35 mm focal length: f/5.6 to 36 The minimum aperture displayed may vary depending on the size of the exposure increment selected with the camera
- Filter attachment size, 52 mm, P = 0.75 mm
- Dimensions, 66 mm maximum diameter x 59.5 mm (distance from camera lens mount flange when lens is retracted)
- Weight, 195 grams, 6.9 oz.
For the range of Nikon DX Zoom lenses see below.