It is always interesting to see new iterations of existing cameras and to see what additional functions have been added. This D5300 is the latest in the line of the D5000 series of Nikon cameras.
Any of the current generation of Digital SLR cameras are capable of superb resolution and excellent image quality, the decision to purchase is mainly driven by the feature list of the cameras and also the build quality. Professional photographers will require extremely rugged equipment compared to the average basic photographer.
The D5300 can achieve amazingly sharp images, rich in detail and with natural tones.
This camera uses the Nikon DX format with a new CMOS image sensor with no optical low pass filter which will result in sharper images than the previous version.
The camera uses a 24.2 effective megapixel sensor and the new EXPEED 4 image processing engine to give excellent image and movie colours.
The ISO sensitivity range is 100 to 12800, and it’s extendable to an ISO 25600 equivalent (Hi 1) to enable the use of higher shutter speeds.
The Nikon Picture Control provides six settings,
Wi-Fi® with this camera is now built in for convenience for picture sharing. The remote shooting function will let you release the shutter from a distance, while your smart device can operate like a remote live view monitor to confirm the image.
The camera also has built in GPS so that your location information will be saved to the file Exif data on all images, without any attachments or accessories.
The D5300 camera also features a newly designed pentamirror with improved 0.82x viewing magnification while maintaining approx. 95% frame coverage.
There is a 39 point viewfinder for fast focussing.
The D5300 is also a high-performance video camera capable of Full HD D-Movies at 1920 x 1080 that are compatible with 60p/50p and there is a built in stereo microphone.
- Nikon DX format, focal length equivalent to approx. 1.5x that of lenses with FX-format angle of view
- Effective pixels, 24.2 million
- Image sensor, 23.5 x 15.6 mm CMOS sensor
- Image size (pixels)
- 6000 x 4000 [L]
- 4496 x 3000 [M]
- 2992 x 2000 [S]
- Shutter Type, Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter, Speeds 1/4000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, bulb, time
- Flash sync speed, X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
- Frame advance rate, up to 5 fps (JPEG and 12-bit NEF/RAW) or 4 fps (14-bit NEF/RAW)
- Built in flash
- Full high definition movie mode as described above
- Battery, one EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- AC adapter, EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5A Power Connector (available separately)
- Dimensions (W x H x D), 125 x 98 x 76 mm (49.2 x 3.9 x 3 in.)
- Weight, 530 g/1 lb 2.7 oz with battery and memory card but without body cap; approx. 480 g/1 lb 0.9 oz (camera body only).
The Nikon range of DX cameras is as follows: