I have been thinking that if I had to choose a new Nikon lens kit, what ten new lenses would go into my bag. This choice is aimed at selecting the best ten lenses for high image quality and the best usefulness. More than ten lenses and my bag would be too heavy! Bear in mind that this is my personal choice.
- For starters I would go for the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. This is really the only choice if I want a Nikon fisheye. I would probably not use a fisheye lens all that much, but it would be handy to have when required.
- Next my choice would be for a wide angle lens for landscapes and cityscapes etc. There are two main contenders here, the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 16-35mm f/4 VR. My choice here would be the Nikon 16-35mm f/4, mainly as it takes filters and it has a wider zoom range. The 16-35mm also has the added advantage of VR for hand held use when required.
- Because I have chosen the 16-35mm f/4 wide angle lens as my second choice, I would need a larger aperture lens for selective focus, thus my third choice is the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 lens. This is an excellent sharp lens and would be very useful for stitched panoramas.
- My fourth choice of lens would be the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II lens. This lens is extremely sharp for a zoom and is very good with the Nikon teleconverters. This is an excellent lens for photographing nature and animals.
- Next is one of the cheaper prime lenses to fill the gap between the 16-35mm and the 70-200mm lenses. This prime would be the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens, again for low light photography and selective focus.
- Next on the list is the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 lens as this is one of the best lenses for beautiful portraits. This lens would also be very useful for landscapes.
- My long super telephoto lens would be the Nikon 500mm f/4 due to its relatively smallish size and weight compared to the 400mm f/2.8 and the 600mm f/4 super telephoto lenses.
- The Nikon 300mm f/2.8 lens is a great lens and probably has the best image quality of any Nikon lens, so that will be my next choice.
- I love macro photography so the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro is an excellent addition to the bag.
- The Nikon Teleconverter TC-14E 1.4x II would have to go into my bag as it is compatible with the 70-200mm, the 105mm Micro and the 500mm lens.
After the selection of these lenses I will need to look for a new bag to fit all this gear into.
We have a full summary of all the current Nikon lenses in our Nikon Lens Review Section.