Iluka is a very small village at the mouth of the Clarence River in New South Wales, Australia. It is situated directly across the river, on the northern side from the larger resort town of Yamba. It has a small population of under 2,000 people.
The town’s name Iluka is derived from an aboriginal word meaning “near the sea”, which is very apt.
Iluka has long beaches on the ocean side of the river. It is around 20 kilometres north of the larger town of Maclean.
Iluka also has a world heritage listed rainforest. The rain forrest contains many different plant species, ranging from coastal dune species to tropical rainforest species. The Iluka rainforest has a vast range of native animal species ranging from wallabies and kangaroos to wombats echidnas and rabbits.
There are plenty of water birds around Iluka and the first image below is of one of the local seagulls. This was captured with the 300mm lens.
Iluka is also renowned for many of its sunsets across the Clarence River. My 28mm lens is great for landscapes and seascapes and was used for the following two images.
The river is very wide between Yamba and Iluka and it can get quite rough with a wind.
I used my kayak here to try to get some of the local water birds but for several days it was too rough for photography from the kayak.
The image below of the marina was captured from the kayak. all the following images were from the 200-500mm lens.
Seagulls were very plentiful as always near the sea.
Pelicans are also a good subject at seaside towns.
There were many Eastern Water Dragons along the river edges for photography.
One of the local rabbits was kind enough to pose for me in the image below.
For all the above images I used a variety of lenses as follows:
- Nikkor 28mm, f/1.8G,
- Nikkor 300mm f/4D,
- Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E.
The camera used for all the images was the Nikon D810.
For more information on these lenses including reviews and sample images take a look at the lens review links at the end of this Blog.
All the lenses used in this Blog are highly recommend from my experience and can be purchased at B&H below
Comments are very welcome. All comments are held for moderation. No advertising comments or links are accepted. To advertise please contact us.
Photography Categories And Nikon Equipment Data
- Accessories Microphones GPS Housings
- Android Tablet / Phone Camera Uses
- Camera Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images, Articles and Software Processing Reviews
- Camera Settings For Better Images
- Capturing Aerial Images
- Capturing The Action Of Sports
- Capturing The Best Cityscapes And Architecture
- Capturing Transport
- Choosing And Selecting Camera Equipment
- Choosing And Selecting Nikon Lenses
- Coolpix Cameras
- Creating Different Image Styles
- Creating Dynamic Fireworks
- Creating The Panorama
- Creative People & Portraits
- Digital SLR System Camera Reviews
- DX Lens Reviews
- DX System Cameras
- DX System Prime Lenses
- DX System Zoom Lenses
- Electronic Flash And High Speed Flash Synchronization
- Exposure, Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO
- Exposure, Histogram, ISO, White Balance, Color Temperature
- Fine Tuning Your Imaging Workflow
- Focus Stacking
- FX Lens Reviews
- FX System Cameras
- FX System Standard Prime Lenses
- FX System Standard Zoom Lenses
- FX System Super Telephoto Lenses
- FX System Teleconverters
- FX System Telephoto Prime Lenses
- FX System Telephoto Zoom Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Prime Lenses
- FX System Wide Angle Zoom Lenses
- Handbooks Nikon View and Nikon Capture NX-2 Software
- History Of Photographic Imaging
- If You Are Into Action These are the Cameras
- Imaging Composition
- Keeping Your Camera Alive At Night
- Lens Reviews, Recommendations, Sample Images and Articles
- Lenses, Focal Length, Aperture
- Making Food Look Delicious
- Nature Photography Is Beautiful
- Nikon 1 Mirrorless System Reviews
- Nikon 1 System CX Cameras
- Nikon 1 System CX Lenses
- Nikon GPS Systems
- Nikon Remote Camera Control Reviews
- Nikon Software
- Nikon Software Reviews
- Nikon Speedlights, Electronic Flash Reviews and Recommendations
- Photographic Capture Techniques
- Photographing Festivals
- Photoshop Tutorials, High Dynamic Range (HDR), Double Exposure, Focus Stacking, Adobe Camera Raw Post Processing
- Recording Air, Army and Military Shows
- Recording Your Travels
- Review Of Nikon AF Nikkor 200 f/4D IF ED Micro Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm ED Ultra Wide Angle Lens
- Review Of The Nikon AF-S NIkkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Telephoto Lens
- Still Life Compositions
- Tips for Better Results From Your Camera
- Tips on using Teleconverters
- Tripods Monopods, Remote Camera Control and Your Accessories