The Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom lens appears to be aimed more for the movie maker, using one of the new Nikon 1 cameras. This is a relatively large and heavier lens than the other Nikon 1 zooms.
It is a 10 times power drive zoom and provides a very wide range in focal lengths.
The 10-100mm zoom range is equivalent in 35 mm to 27-270 mm.
The lens has a retractable mechanism that will extends the lens, or fold it away to a very compact arrangement when the camera is powered off.
The following lenses are available for the Nikon 1 camera series:
- 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 VR PD Zoom Lens – Wide range small aperture lens, 35mm equivalent is 27 to 270mm.
- 10mm f/2.8 Lens – High quality prime available light lens, 35mm equivalent is 27mm.
- 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR Lens – Telephoto zoom lens, 35mm equivalent is 81-297mm
- 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR Lens – Standard focal length zoom, 35mm equivalent is 27-81mm.
The higher aperture lens, f/4.5 to f/5.6 lens is less suited to available light photography usage and the f/2.8 lens is a really nice prime lens for available light photography. There is not yet a large range of lenses to choose from for the Nikon 1 system and I guess more lenses will be developed with time as the camera system is still relatively new.
This lens combined with the Nikon 1 camera would form the basis of an excellent compact and light travelling outfit if you are not too keen on the larger SLR kits.
For a complete Nikon 1 systen you may need to get the three lenses 10mm f/2.8, 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 VR and the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens.
There are now many images from this lens on the Flickr site.
- Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm,
- Lens construction, 14 groups, 21 elements,
- Maximum aperture, f/4.5 to 5.6,
- Minimum aperture, 16,
- Angle of view 77° to 7° 10’,
- Number of diaphragms, 7,
- Minimum focus distance, 10mm focal length, 0.3 metres, 1 feet; 100mm focal length, 0.85 metres, 2.8 feet,
- Maximum reproduction ratio, 0.127, 35 mm equivalent, 0.062,
- Weight, 530 grams, 1 lb 2.7 ounces,
- Diameter x length, distance from camera lens mount flange, 77×95 when the lens is retracted,
- Filter attachment size, 72 mm,
- Lens cap type, Snap on,
- Lens hood, HB-N102 (provided),
- Lens case, CL-N102 (optional).
Comments are very welcome. All comments are held for moderation. No advertising comments or links are accepted. To advertise please contact us.