This new 18-140mm DX format lens appears to be a very high performance lens for an f/3.5-5.6 aperture lens. It is effectively a 7.8 times normal zoom lens, covering a very wide focal length range from 18 to 140 mm, the angle of view with this lens is equivalent to a lens with a focal length of 27 to 210 mm in the FX system, 35mm format, this is quite a nice range indeed.
The lens has one ED glass element and one aspherical lens element and includes VR, Vibration Reduction to help minimizes camera shake by offering a shutter speed equivalent to 4.0 stops faster with the VR functionality activated.
The lens has a Silent Wave Motor, SWM incorporated in its design to ensure quiet and fast AF operation.
The basic lens construction is shown in the following plan.
The MTF charts for this lens are as follows and generally it indicate a very sharp lens from wide angle to the telephoto end. Looking at the MTF charts this lens looks to be one of the best f/3.5-5.6 lenses around.
Perhaps there is a new very high pixel density DX camera coming from Nikon in the very near future to get the full capability from this lens.
It will be interesting to see what is in planned by Nikon for any future high level Nikon DX cameras.
- Type G, AF-S, DX lens with built-in CPU and F mount
- Focal length, 18-140 mm
- Maximum aperture, f/3.5-5.6
- Minimum aperture, f/22-38
- Lens construction, 17 elements in 12 groups, includes 1 ED lens element and 1 aspherical lens element
- Angle of view, 76° – 11°30′
- Nikon internal focusing system with autofocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Minimum focus distance, 0.45 m, 1.48 ft from the focal plane at all zoom positions
- Maximum reproduction ratio, 0.23x
- 7 rounded diaphragm blades for excellent bokeh
- Diaphragm is fully automatic
- Aperture range,
- 18 mm focal length, f/3.5-22
- 140 mm focal length, f/5.6-38
- Filter size, 67 mm, P = 0.75 mm
- Dimensions, 78 mm maximum diameter, 97 mm distance from camera lens mount flange
- Weight, 490 g, 17.3 oz.